About Me

Sunday, December 30, 2012

SATISFYING A CRAVING FOR GOD’S PRESENCE



I want to start this article by whining for a moment: No one in church ever really taught me why I should read my Bible devotionally.  I learned a lot about not running in the Sanctuary and that it was wrong to draw on the table in the Sunday School room and that playing poker in the old ladies Bible Study classroom was a bad idea (Yes, I did and yes, it was a bad idea.  Especially when you leave chips on the floor and the pastor has to explain why there was a poker game going down at a youth lock-in.)  I also learned some tremendously useful things like the books of the Bible, the Roman’s Road, and that Jesus commanded all of his followers to build the kingdom. 

I also remember learning that having a devotion time—usually called “quiet time” by church people—every day was very important, but no one ever told me why.  Now don’t get me wrong, when I came to Christ I was blessed to have a great pastor, and attend a Bible believing church, but somehow I still missed the why and how of this whole devotion thing.  So I wanted to write something for Christians who know that spending time in God’s Word is something that people say is important, but might not know why.  What follows is a brief walk through Scripture in hopes that you will see why spending daily time in God’s word is so important.

A Duty of Utmost Delight

Very briefly let’s talk about what the Bible doesn’t say.  There is no passage in Scripture that says, “Thou shalt read thy Bible every day.”  Not even close.  There is a lot that the Bible says about why Scripture is vital, but no clear cut command that says to read it daily.

What the Bible does say is that Scripture is breathed out by God (2 Timothy 3:16).  This is the most basic thing we must understand: the Bible is a revelation of God to people.  It is a way in which we can experience Him, it is the means by which he reveals his will and his nature to humanity.  Keep that in mind as you think about reading the Bible daily, it is about God revealing himself, and his will to you.

If we are truly members of the kingdom, if we have truly pledged our very lives to God, then his revelation of himself should be something we crave.  Check out Mark 1:35-38.  In this passage, Jesus leaves the disciples in the dark hours of the morning and goes into a secluded place to devote time to God.  Now I don’t want to play fast and loose with Scripture here.  Jesus went out to pray, not to read his Bible.  He didn’t sit down and pull out his pocket edition of the Torah and start reading, but he did go out to experience God’s presence and to be in tune with God’s will.  That is also the goal of devotionally reading the Bible.  And he craved it.  He wanted it worse than sleep, than breakfast, than an early morning conversation with his twelve closest friends.  He went out not out of duty, but delight. 

This is the same delight felt by the poet who writes of the blessed man in Psalm 1, “His delight is in the instruction (Torah) of the Lord and on his instruction he meditates day and night.” (Psalm 1:2)

This is the motivation for devotional Bible reading—a deep craving for God’s revelation of himself.  It springs from a sense of delight, a sense of need, a craving, an addiction.  Now, I do want to throw a cautionary sentence or two in here.  This does not mean that on days when I do not joyfully look to the reading of my Bible I should not do it.  There will be times when our desire for God’s word is hindered, perhaps by sin, perhaps by tragedy, or perhaps by the general depression that often invades our lives in this fallen world.  In these times, when the feeling of happiness is gone, the true joy of delight is still there.  The feelings will come and go, but this God given delight will remain.

Like a Ford, Not a Ferrari

I am not much of a car guy, but even I can recognize a Ferrari if one passes me on the interstate.  This is the purpose of a Ferrari, to get other people’s attention, to say, look at me, I have a Ferrari.  That and to go 200mph.  My Wife and I drive a Ford.  It also has a purpose, to get you—and up to three passengers—where you are going. If you read my story about daily devotions(also posted on this blog), you will find that I once thought it should be a very flashy, show-off kind of thing, but that is not what Scripture teaches.  Daily Devotions are about being transformed in personal living and worshipping God, not about showing off.

Consider Psalm 119: 9-12.  Here the poet asks a vital question for every believer, “How can a young man keep his way pure?”  Purity in Scripture is all about living God’s way.  It is not so people can look at you and say, “What a pure person.”  It is about living in a way that brings glory to God.  Every follower of Christ should ask, “How can we keep our way pure?”  The poet goes on to answer the question, “By guarding [his way] according to [God’s] Word.”  Ultimately the young man who composed Psalm 119 concludes that it is storing up God’s word in his heart that will keep him from sinning and thus cause him to please God (pleasing God, of course, is what not sinning is all about). 

Consider one last passage of Scripture with me: Psalm 46:10.  It is a simple command, “Be still and know that I am God.  I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”  This awestruck worship of God should also be incorporated into our daily devotion time.  This may happen through prayer, through reflection on the providence of God in your life, or through soaking in a breathtaking scene in nature.  But it also happens through the Word of God. Read Psalm 148, Genesis 1 & 2, John 20, Psalms 150, Isaiah 6 or countless other passages in Scripture which attests to God’s glory and be blown away by it. 

This is the purpose of daily devotional reading.  It is not flashy, but it has a powerful purpose, to transform your life and cause you to worship God.

A Few Thoughts in Closing

Please understand this is not a complete theology of devotional reading, it is not meant to be. I do, however pray that these reasons would motivate you to experience God’s word, daily.  I pray that this would merely whet your appetite; that the meager morsels of truth above would begin a daily craving for God’s Word.  I pray that you would approach Scripture daily from delight for the purpose of living out a transformed, God honoring life.

______________________________________________________________________________

For some ideas on how to read the Bible devotionally, and some useful tools to help you along the way, read the article on this blog titled, “A Daily Devotional Toolbox”

No comments:

Post a Comment